Settle in with a cup of coffee, this is a long one… Lots of lists of books I’ve read in the last year and ones I'm excited to read!
So I set my Goodreads 2017 reading goal at 12 books. I was due with the babies at the beginning of the year, so I had no idea what to expect, but I was sure I wouldn’t be able to read much. And then I went on to read more books than I’ve ever read in one year (42!!!).
I get a lot of comments asking how I read so much. First, reading is my most favorite thing. I can’t imagine not having a book going. I have one with me almost all the time. I read at work before I clock in and during my lunch. I read while waiting for appointments. I read on the couch after the kids go to bed while Ryan’s watching TV and I usually stay up ENTIRELY too late reading in bed. I also read ebooks so I always have a book with me in the Kindle app on my phone if I get caught somewhere without a physical book. Also, it should be noted that my husband does A TON around the house and with the kids. I often read while he gives one of them a bath. Any time I can, I’m reading. Here are a couple of awesome posts about finding more time to read from The Mom Creative and Mom Advice.
I read a TON of library books in 2017. I also bought a lot of ebooks on sale in 2017 ($0.99 - $2.99 each!). I get the daily eBook deals email from Modern Mrs. Darcy. There’s a list at the end of this post of some of the ebooks I’ve bought recently and am excited to read.
2018 Reading Goal: I’ve set my 2018 reading challenge goal at 45. A pretty lofty goal for someone with a 4-year-old, two 1-year-olds, and a full-time job, but I’m excited to try to get there! I want to get through the books I own that I already have started, the books I bought recently, and a lot of the books on my TBR library list! A lot of those are listed at the bottom of this post. Edited to add: by the time I’m actually posting this now, I finished 10 books in January, so maybe I need to up that 45-book goal!
Without further adieu, here are the books I read in 2017, with links if you want to check them out.
1. The Aviator’s Wife // Library
3. Yeah Baby!: The Modern Mama’s Guide to Mastering Pregnancy, Having a Healthy Baby, and Bouncing Back Better Than Ever // Purchased
4. The Hating Game // Ebook
5. The Cozy Life: Rediscover the Joy of the Simple Things Through the Danish Concept of Hygge // Purchased
6. Suddenly in Love // Ebook
7. In the Cards // Ebook
8. Tonic // Ebook
9. Yellow Star // Ebook
10. Worth the Wait // Ebook
11. Twelve Hours’ Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-by-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success // Purchased
12. Clutterfree with Kids // Ebook
13. My Not So Perfect Life // Library
15. Suddenly Dating // Purchased
16. The CoupleNext Door // Library
17. Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool // Library
18. The Kitchen House // Purchased
19. Glory Over Everything: Beyond the Kitchen House // Library
21. This is How It Always Is // Library
22. The Light We Lost // Library
23. Beautiful Mistake // Ebook
24. Born a Crime // Library
25. The Hate U Give // Library
26. The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom // Purchased
27. Bad Penny // Ebook
28. Hillbilly Elegy // Library
29. On a Tuesday // Ebook
30. Worth the Risk // Ebook
31. Turtles All the Way Down // Library
32. Southern Pleasure // Ebook
33. Grace, Not Perfection // Purchased
34. A Simplified Life // Purchased
35. Station Eleven // Library - my favorite book from 2017. Please go buy this book. Don’t read anything about it. Just buy it and read it. I checked it out at the library and I’ll be buying myself a copy to keep.
36. Merry and Bright // Library
37. The Husband’s Secret // Library
38. Twelve Days of Christmas // Library
39. Fierce Kingdom // Library – my fastest read all year and the most haunting book I’ve ever read. I’m still thinking about it! Mamas of littles – maybe DON’T read this one, unless you really like to be scared.
40. The City Baker’s Guide to Country Living // Library
41. Winter Street // Library
42. Winter Stroll // Library
The 10 books I’ve finished so far this year:
- Dear Fahrenheit 451 (Library)
- Egomaniac (Ebook)
- Winter Storms (Library)
- Winter Solstice (Library)
- One True Loves (Purchased)
- What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast (Ebook)
- Triggers (Library)
- Dark Matter (Library) (Another sci fi and another one that I just can’t believe this stuff comes out of someone’s imagination!)
- The Confidence Code (Library)
- Sex, Not Love (Ebook)
Books I’m currently reading:
Books I’ve started and want to finish:
- At Home in the World
- Settle for More by Megyn Kelly (Ryan bought this for me LAST Christmas)
- It Starts with Food
- Food Freedom Forever
Books I Own that I want to Read:
- 100 Days of Real Food
- A Window Opens
- After I Do
- Big Little Lies
- Fates and Furies
- Four Seasons in Rome
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies
- The House Girl
- Simplicity Parenting
- Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?
- Your Best Year Ever
Here are the ebooks I’ve bought on sale and am excited to read:
- Accidentally Hers – was on sale for $1.99!
- All the Ugly and Wonderful Things – was on sale for $3.99!
- Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery – was on sale for $1.99! Will save for next Christmas.
- Daughters of the Night Sky – got for free for being a Prime member!
- Good Morning, Midnight – was on sale for $1.99!
- Hidden Figures – was on sale for $2.99!
- Misadventures of a City Girl – was on sale for $1.19!
- One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way – was on sale for $1.99!
- Paris Letters - is on sale for $2.51!
- Playing Through the Whistle – on sale for $1.89!
- Sugar – was on sale for $0.99!
- The Bookstore – was on sale for $1.99!
- The Difference Between Us – was on sale for $1.49!
- The Futures – was on sale for $2.99!
- The Knockoff – was on sale for $2.99!
- The Little Bookshop on the Seine – on sale for $0.99!
- The Ramblers
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo – was on sale for $3.99!
- The Thousandth Floor – was on sale for $1.99!
- Unstuffed: Decluttering Your Home, Mind and Soul – was on sale for $1.99!
- Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom - got for free for being a Prime member!
- White Rose, Black Forest – got for free for being a Prime member!